Monday 9 March 2009

Cultural shift

At 1am the tour of the house was brief and once the toilet flushing regulations and bucket showering facilities had been explained, I was finally free to crawl under my mosquito net and sweat it out for the night, with the assistance of the friendly fan. The noise and 'blowyness' of it was well worth the relief it provided although the very edge of the top bunk, I reflected, was probably not the most sensible or safe place to position oneself for the night.

However, I was still there when I woke the next day, so all was well. After breakfast (pineapple) I joined some of the other volunteers heading off to one of the catholic churches in town. I don't think we even came close to arriving in time for the start of the service and it had not finished when we left quite some time later. It was conducted entirely in Ewe, the English version having happened at what must have been the crack of dawn, so to be honest I didn't have the foggiest what was going on. Despite this though it was interesting to watch and pretend to participate in, and it was the liveliest catholic mass I have ever seen.

It was perhaps the hardest part of the day though - I could have stood with a beacon on my head and not felt more conspicuous or out of place. Or wished more that I were back in Bellevue where things are familiar and I know what people are saying :o( We walked back at Ghanian speed for lunch (chicken and beans and pineapple) before our first lesson in Ewe and our orientation to the programme and the country. This took us nicely to dinner time (chicken and beans and pineapple).

1 comment:

  1. Chicken and beans and pineapple - an interesting combination. I hope they provided a suitably small coffee cup from which to eat it!

    Amusing blogging, sounds like quite an adventure.

    ReplyDelete