Friday 3 April 2009

Predictably irrational

This post has absolutely nothing to do with Africa - it will not add to the chronicles of Ghana and consequently does not really belong here. However, it is my blog so I believe I can break the rules if I want to.

Well aware that there would be a reasonable amount of time in which there is no scheduled activity and none of the usual methods that I use to waste my time at home, I had crammed quite a few books into my luggage. Having finished my packing however I reflected on the volume and weight that my books were contributing to my allowance and carefully selected one to leave behind. Only to replace it with 2 more bought impulsively at the airport.

The first is called 'Elephants on acid' and is a collection of anecdotes about crazy experiments that have been carried out in the name of science, with or without reasonable rationale. The second book is the title of this post.

Many who know me might suggest that this is a very fitting book for me to read. And much as I hate to agree with those who would question my logic, they would be right. It is an excellent reflection on the way we make decisions and on what influences them. I see myself in so much of the irrational behaviour and reasoning that is described in this book so I thought I would share some of it's wisdom with you.

The author, Dan Ariely, describes with amusing anecdotal and experimental evidence how we can be manipulated into purchases according only to their value relative to an arbitrary similar item; how, like goslings, our first impressions and subsequent decisions become inextricably imprinted on us; how zero cost is overrated and how incompatible are social and market norms. Particularly pertinently for me this year there is a chapter on procrastination. I appear to be doing well in recognizing my tendency to procrastinate but according to the rest of the chapter, not so well in addressing it. Oh well, the next chapter tells me to put all my eggs in one basket and shut a few doors so maybe I could soon have less to procrastinate about.

According to the book I should approach my character makeover optimistically since our expectations appear to be self fulfilling. And if I am to be honest about my achievements I should add direct monetary value to them. Any bets on the outcome then?

No comments:

Post a Comment